Synonyms for abstract
- 1. abstraction, abstract, concept, conception, construct
- usage: a concept or idea not associated with any specific instance; "he loved her only in the abstract--not in person"
- 2. outline, synopsis, abstract, precis, summary, sum-up
- usage: a sketchy summary of the main points of an argument or theory
- 1. abstract, see, consider, reckon, view, regard
- usage: consider a concept without thinking of a specific example; consider abstractly or theoretically
- 2. pilfer, cabbage, purloin, pinch, abstract, snarf, swipe, hook, sneak, filch, nobble, lift, steal
- usage: make off with belongings of others
- 3. abstract, consider, take, deal, look at
- usage: consider apart from a particular case or instance; "Let's abstract away from this particular example"
- 4. abstract, sum up, summarize, summarise, resume
- usage: give an abstract (of)
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. abstract (vs. concrete), conceptional, ideational, notional, conceptual, ideal, ideological, ideologic, intangible#2, impalpable, nonrepresentational
- usage: existing only in the mind; separated from embodiment; "abstract words like `truth' and `justice'"
- 2. abstract, abstractionist, nonfigurative, nonobjective, nonrepresentational (vs. representational)
- usage: not representing or imitating external reality or the objects of nature; "a large abstract painting"
- 3. abstract, theoretical (vs. applied)
- usage: dealing with a subject in the abstract without practical purpose or intention; "abstract reasoning"; "abstract science"