Synonyms for accent
- 1. accent, speech pattern, pronunciation
- usage: distinctive manner of oral expression; "he couldn't suppress his contemptuous accent"; "she had a very clear speech pattern"
- 2. emphasis, accent, importance, grandness
- usage: special importance or significance; "the red light gave the central figure increased emphasis"; "the room was decorated in shades of grey with distinctive red accents"
- 3. dialect, idiom, accent, non-standard speech
- usage: the usage or vocabulary that is characteristic of a specific group of people; "the immigrants spoke an odd dialect of English"; "he has a strong German accent"; "it has been said that a language is a dialect with an army and navy"
- 4. stress, emphasis, accent, prosody, inflection
- usage: the relative prominence of a syllable or musical note (especially with regard to stress or pitch); "he put the stress on the wrong syllable"
- 5. accent, accent mark, diacritical mark, diacritic
- usage: a diacritical mark used to indicate stress or placed above a vowel to indicate a special pronunciation
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. stress, emphasize, emphasise, punctuate, accent, accentuate, express, show, evince
- usage: to stress, single out as important; "Dr. Jones emphasizes exercise in addition to a change in diet"
- 2. stress, accent, accentuate, pronounce, articulate, enounce, sound out, enunciate, say
- usage: put stress on; utter with an accent; "In Farsi, you accent the last syllable of each word"