Synonyms for account
- 1. history, account, chronicle, story, record
- usage: a record or narrative description of past events; "a history of France"; "he gave an inaccurate account of the plot to kill the president"; "the story of exposure to lead"
- 2. report, news report, story, account, write up, news
- usage: a short account of the news; "the report of his speech"; "the story was on the 11 o'clock news"; "the account of his speech that was given on the evening news made the governor furious"
- 3. account, business relationship, relationship
- usage: a formal contractual relationship established to provide for regular banking or brokerage or business services; "he asked to see the executive who handled his account"
- 4. explanation, account, statement
- usage: a statement that makes something comprehensible by describing the relevant structure or operation or circumstances etc.; "the explanation was very simple"; "I expected a brief account"
- 5. score, account, reason, ground
- usage: grounds; "don't do it on my account"; "the paper was rejected on account of its length"; "he tried to blame the victim but his success on that score was doubtful"
- 6. account, importance
- usage: importance or value; "a person of considerable account"; "he predicted that although it is of small account now it will rapidly increase in importance"
- 7. account, accounting, account statement, statement, financial statement
- usage: a statement of recent transactions and the resulting balance; "they send me an accounting every month"
- 8. report, account, informing, making known
- usage: the act of informing by verbal report; "he heard reports that they were causing trouble"; "by all accounts they were a happy couple"
- 9. bill, account, invoice, statement, financial statement
- usage: an itemized statement of money owed for goods shipped or services rendered; "he paid his bill and left"; "send me an account of what I owe"
- 10. account, profit, gain
- usage: the quality of taking advantage; "she turned her writing skills to good account"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. account, be
- usage: be the sole or primary factor in the existence, acquisition, supply, or disposal of something; "Passing grades account for half of the grades given in this exam"
- 2. account, calculate
- usage: keep an account of
- 3. report, describe, account, inform
- usage: to give an account or representation of in words; "Discreet Italian police described it in a manner typically continental"
- 4. account, answer for, declare
- usage: furnish a justifying analysis or explanation; "I can't account for the missing money"