Synonyms for acting
- 1. acting, playing, playacting, performing, activity, performing arts
- usage: the performance of a part or role in a drama
- 1. act, move
- usage: perform an action, or work out or perform (an action); "think before you act"; "We must move quickly"; "The governor should act on the new energy bill"; "The nanny acted quickly by grabbing the toddler and covering him with a wet towel"
- 2. act, behave, do
- usage: behave in a certain manner; show a certain behavior; conduct or comport oneself; "You should act like an adult"; "Don't behave like a fool"; "What makes her do this way?"; "The dog acts ferocious, but he is really afraid of people"
- 3. act, play, represent, re-create
- usage: play a role or part; "Gielgud played Hamlet"; "She wants to act Lady Macbeth, but she is too young for the role"; "She played the servant to her husband's master"
- 4. act, serve
- usage: discharge one's duties; "She acts as the chair"; "In what capacity are you acting?"
- 5. act, play, act as, act, behave, do
- usage: pretend to have certain qualities or state of mind; "He acted the idiot"; "She plays deaf when the news are bad"
- 6. act, be
- usage: be suitable for theatrical performance; "This scene acts well"
- 7. work, act, succeed, win, come through, bring home the bacon, deliver the goods
- usage: have an effect or outcome; often the one desired or expected; "The voting process doesn't work as well as people thought"; "How does your idea work in practice?"; "This method doesn't work"; "The breaks of my new car act quickly"; "The medicine works only if you take it with a lot of water"
- 8. act
- usage: be engaged in an activity, often for no particular purpose other than pleasure
- 9. dissemble, pretend, act
- usage: behave unnaturally or affectedly; "She's just acting"
- 10. act, play, roleplay, playact, perform
- usage: perform on a stage or theater; "She acts in this play"; "He acted in `Julius Caesar'"; "I played in `A Christmas Carol'"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. acting(prenominal), impermanent (vs. permanent), temporary
- usage: serving temporarily especially as a substitute; "the acting president"