Synonyms for alone
- 1. alone(predicate), unsocial (vs. social)
- usage: isolated from others; "could be alone in a crowded room"; "was alone with her thoughts"; "I want to be alone"
- 2. alone(predicate), lone(prenominal), lonely(prenominal), solitary, unaccompanied (vs. accompanied)
- usage: lacking companions or companionship; "he was alone when we met him"; "she is alone much of the time"; "the lone skier on the mountain"; "a lonely fisherman stood on a tuft of gravel"; "a lonely soul"; "a solitary traveler"
- 3. alone(predicate), only, exclusive (vs. inclusive)
- usage: exclusive of anyone or anything else; "she alone believed him"; "cannot live by bread alone"; "I'll have this car and this car only"
- 4. alone(predicate), unique, unequaled, unequalled, unparalleled, incomparable (vs. comparable), uncomparable
- usage: radically distinctive and without equal; "he is alone in the field of microbiology"; "this theory is altogether alone in its penetration of the problem"; "Bach was unique in his handling of counterpoint"; "craftsmen whose skill is unequaled"; "unparalleled athletic ability"; "a breakdown of law unparalleled in our history"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. entirely, exclusively, solely, alone, only
- usage: without any others being included or involved; "was entirely to blame"; "a school devoted entirely to the needs of problem children"; "he works for Mr. Smith exclusively"; "did it solely for money"; "the burden of proof rests on the prosecution alone"; "a privilege granted only to him"
- 2. alone, solo, unaccompanied
- usage: without anybody else or anything else; "the child stayed home alone"; "the pillar stood alone, supporting nothing"; "he flew solo"
See also: alone (Dictionary)