Synonyms for ascetic
- 1. abstainer, ascetic, religious person
- usage: someone who practices self denial as a spiritual discipline
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. ascetic, ascetical
- usage: pertaining to or characteristic of an ascetic or the practice of rigorous self-discipline; "ascetic practices"
- 2. ascetic, ascetical, austere, spartan, abstemious (vs. gluttonous)
- usage: practicing great self-denial; "Be systematically ascetic...do...something for no other reason than that you would rather not do it"- William James; "a desert nomad's austere life"; "a spartan diet"; "a spartan existence"