Synonyms for avoid
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. avoid
- usage: stay clear from; keep away from; keep out of the way of someone or something; "Her former friends now avoid her"
- 2. debar, forefend, forfend, obviate, deflect, avert, head off, stave off, fend off, avoid, ward off, prevent, forestall, foreclose, preclude, forbid
- usage: prevent the occurrence of; prevent from happening; "Let's avoid a confrontation"; "head off a confrontation"; "avert a strike"
- 3. avoid
- usage: refrain from doing something; "She refrains from calling her therapist too often"; "He should avoid publishing his wife's memories"
- 4. keep off, avoid, abstain, refrain, desist
- usage: refrain from certain foods or beverages; "I keep off drugs"; "During Ramadan, Muslims avoid tobacco during the day"
- 5. invalidate, annul, quash, void, avoid, nullify, cancel, strike down
- usage: declare invalid; "The contract was annulled"; "void a plea"
See also: avoid (Dictionary)