Synonyms for backstop
- 1. catcher, backstop, infielder
- usage: (baseball) the person who plays the position of catcher
- 2. backstop, fence, fencing
- usage: (baseball) a fence or screen (as behind home plate) to prevent the ball from traveling out of the playing field
- 3. backstop, precaution, safeguard, guard
- usage: a precaution in case of an emergency; "he acted as a backstop in case anything went wrong"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. backstop, play
- usage: act as a backstop