Synonyms for badly
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. badly, severely, gravely, seriously
- usage: to a severe or serious degree; "fingers so badly frozen they had to be amputated"; "badly injured"; "a severely impaired heart"; "is gravely ill"; "was seriously ill"
- 2. ill, badly, poorly
- usage: (`ill' is often used as a combining form) in a poor or improper or unsatisfactory manner; not well; "he was ill prepared"; "it ill befits a man to betray old friends"; "the car runs badly"; "he performed badly on the exam"; "the team played poorly"; "ill-fitting clothes"; "an ill-conceived plan"
- 3. badly
- usage: evilly or wickedly; "treated his parents badly"; "to steal is to act badly"
- 4. badly, mischievously, naughtily
- usage: in a disobedient or naughty way; "he behaved badly in school"; "he mischievously looked for a chance to embarrass his sister"; "behaved naughtily when they had guests and was sent to his room"
- 5. badly, bad
- usage: with great intensity (`bad' is a nonstandard variant for `badly'); "the injury hurt badly"; "the buildings were badly shaken"; "it hurts bad"; "we need water bad"
- 6. badly, bad
- usage: very much; strongly; "I wanted it badly enough to work hard for it"; "the cables had sagged badly"; "they were badly in need of help"; "he wants a bicycle so bad he can taste it"
- 7. badly
- usage: without skill or in a displeasing manner; "she writes badly"; "I think he paints very badly"
- 8. badly, disadvantageously
- usage: in a disadvantageous way; to someone's disadvantage; "the venture turned out badly for the investors"; "angry that the case was settled disadvantageously for them"
- 9. ill, badly
- usage: unfavorably or with disapproval; "tried not to speak ill of the dead"; "thought badly of him for his lack of concern"
- 10. badly
- usage: with unusual distress or resentment or regret or emotional display; "they took their defeat badly"; "took her father's death badly"; "conducted himself very badly at the time of the earthquake"
See also: badly (Dictionary)