Synonyms for bail
- 1. bail, bail bond, bond, recognizance, recognisance
- usage: (criminal law) money that must be forfeited by the bondsman if an accused person fails to appear in court for trial; "the judge set bail at $10,000"; "a $10,000 bond was furnished by an alderman"
- 2. bail, legal system
- usage: the legal system that allows an accused person to be temporarily released from custody (usually on condition that a sum of money guarantees their appearance at trial); "he is out on bail"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. bail, free, liberate, release, unloose, unloosen, loose
- usage: release after a security has been paid
- 2. bail, hand over, fork over, fork out, fork up, turn in, deliver, render
- usage: deliver something in trust to somebody for a special purpose and for a limited period
- 3. bail, guarantee, vouch
- usage: secure the release of (someone) by providing security
- 4. bail, empty
- usage: empty (a vessel) by bailing
- 5. bail, remove, take, take away, withdraw
- usage: remove (water) from a vessel with a container
See also: bail (Dictionary)