Synonyms for balance
- 1. balance, equilibrium
- usage: a state of equilibrium
- 2. balance, equality
- usage: equality between the totals of the credit and debit sides of an account
- 3. proportion, proportionality, balance, placement, arrangement
- usage: harmonious arrangement or relation of parts or elements within a whole (as in a design); "in all perfectly beautiful objects there is found the opposition of one part to another and a reciprocal balance"- John Ruskin
- 4. balance, equilibrium, equipoise, counterbalance, structure, construction
- usage: equality of distribution
- 5. remainder, balance, residual, residue, residuum, rest, part, portion, component part, component, constituent
- usage: something left after other parts have been taken away; "there was no remainder"; "he threw away the rest"; "he took what he wanted and I got the balance"
- 6. balance, remainder, difference
- usage: the difference between the totals of the credit and debit sides of an account
- 7. Libra, Balance, person, individual, someone, somebody, mortal, soul
- usage: (astrology) a person who is born while the sun is in Libra
- 8. Libra, Libra the Balance, Balance, Libra the Scales
- usage: the seventh sign of the zodiac; the sun is in this sign from about September 23 to October 22
- 9. symmetry, symmetricalness, correspondence, balance, spatial property, spatiality
- usage: (mathematics) an attribute of a shape or relation; exact reflection of form on opposite sides of a dividing line or plane
- 10. counterweight, counterbalance, counterpoise, balance, equalizer, equaliser, weight
- usage: a weight that balances another weight
- 11. balance wheel, balance, wheel
- usage: a wheel that regulates the rate of movement in a machine; especially a wheel oscillating against the hairspring of a timepiece to regulate its beat
- 12. balance, scale, weighing machine
- usage: a scale for weighing; depends on pull of gravity
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. balance, equilibrate, equilibrize, equilibrise, match, fit
- usage: bring into balance or equilibrium; "She has to balance work and her domestic duties"; "balance the two weights"
- 2. balance, account, calculate
- usage: compute credits and debits of an account
- 3. poise, balance, hold, carry, bear
- usage: hold or carry in equilibrium
- 4. balance, be
- usage: be in equilibrium; "He was balancing on one foot"