Synonyms for basic
- 1. BASIC, programming language, programing language
- usage: a popular programming language that is relatively easy to learn; an acronym for beginner's all-purpose symbolic instruction code; no longer in general use
- 2. basic, staple, commodity, trade goods, goods
- usage: (usually plural) a necessary commodity for which demand is constant
WordNet 2.0 Copyright © 2003 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- 1. basic (vs. incidental), basal, base, elementary, primary, fundamental, rudimentary, underlying, grassroots, radical
- usage: pertaining to or constituting a base or basis; "a basic fact"; "the basic ingredients"; "basic changes in public opinion occur because of changes in priorities"
- 2. basic, canonic, canonical, standard (vs. nonstandard)
- usage: reduced to the simplest and most significant form possible without loss of generality; "a basic story line"; "a canonical syllable pattern"
- 3. basal, basic, primary, essential (vs. inessential)
- usage: of primary importance; "basic truths"
- 4. basic, introductory, first (vs. last) (vs. intermediate)
- usage: serving as a base or starting point; "a basic course in Russian"; "basic training for raw recruits"; "a set of basic tools"; "an introductory art course"
- 5. basic, alkaline (vs. amphoteric) (vs. acidic), alkalic
- usage: of or denoting or of the nature of or containing a base
See also: basic (Dictionary)