Synonyms for belittling
- 1. denigration, belittling, disparagement, depreciation, derogation
- usage: a belittling comment
- 2. belittling, disparagement, dispraise
- usage: the act of belittling
- 1. minimize, belittle, denigrate, derogate, disparage, belittle, pick at
- usage: cause to seem less serious; play down; "Don't belittle his influence"
- 2. disparage, belittle, pick at, knock, criticize, criticise, pick apart
- usage: express a negative opinion of; "She disparaged her student's efforts"
- 3. diminish, belittle, decrease, lessen, minify
- usage: lessen the authority, dignity, or reputation of; "don't belittle your colleagues"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. belittling, deprecating, deprecative, deprecatory, depreciative, depreciatory, slighting, uncomplimentary (vs. complimentary)
- usage: tending to diminish or disparage; "belittling comments"; "managed a deprecating smile at the compliment"; "deprecatory remarks about the book"; "a slighting remark"