Synonyms for betray
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. betray, bewray, unwrap, disclose, let on, bring out, reveal, discover, expose, divulge, break, give away, let out
- usage: reveal unintentionally; "Her smile betrayed her true feelings"
- 2. betray, sell, deceive, lead on, delude, cozen
- usage: deliver to an enemy by treachery; "Judas sold Jesus"; "The spy betrayed his country"
- 3. fail, betray, disappoint, let down
- usage: disappoint, prove undependable to; abandon, forsake; "His sense of smell failed him this time"; "His strength finally failed him"; "His children failed him in the crisis"
- 4. cheat on, cheat, cuckold, betray, wander, deceive, lead on, delude, cozen
- usage: be sexually unfaithful to one's partner in marriage; "She cheats on her husband"; "Might her husband be wandering?"
- 5. denounce, tell on, betray, give away, rat, grass, shit, shop, snitch, stag, inform
- usage: give away information about somebody; "He told on his classmate who had cheated on the exam"
- 6. deceive, betray, lead astray, misinform, mislead
- usage: cause someone to believe an untruth; "The insurance company deceived me when they told me they were covering my house"