Synonyms for black-out
- 1. blackout, pause, intermission, break, interruption, suspension
- usage: a suspension of radio or tv broadcasting
- 2. blackout, brownout, dimout, dark, darkness
- usage: darkness resulting from the extinction of lights (as in a city invisible to enemy aircraft)
- 3. blackout, power outage, power failure
- usage: the failure of electric power for a general region
- 4. blackout, unconsciousness
- usage: a momentary loss of consciousness
- 5. amnesia, memory loss, blackout, cognitive state, state of mind
- usage: partial or total loss of memory; "he has a total blackout for events of the evening"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. black out, snuff out, blow out, extinguish, quench
- usage: obliterate or extinguish; "Some life-forms were obliterated by the radiation, others survived"
- 2. black out, blacken out, darken
- usage: darken completely; "The dining room blackened out"
- 3. black out, edit, redact
- usage: suppress by censorship as for political reasons; "parts of the newspaper article were blacked out"
- 4. zonk out, pass out, black out, change state, turn
- usage: lose consciousness due to a sudden trauma, for example