Synonyms for bleak
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. black, bleak, dim, hopeless (vs. hopeful)
- usage: offering little or no hope; "the future looked black"; "prospects were bleak"; "Life in the Aran Islands has always been bleak and difficult"- J.M.Synge; "took a dim view of things"
- 2. bare, barren, bleak, desolate, stark, inhospitable (vs. hospitable)
- usage: providing no shelter or sustenance; "bare rocky hills"; "barren lands"; "the bleak treeless regions of the high Andes"; "the desolate surface of the moon"; "a stark landscape"
- 3. bleak, cutting, raw, cold (vs. hot)
- usage: unpleasantly cold and damp; "bleak winds of the North Atlantic"
See also: bleak (Dictionary)