Synonyms for blocking
- 1. blocking, block, obstruction
- usage: the act of obstructing or deflecting someone's movements
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. barricade, block, blockade, stop, block off, block up, bar, obstruct, obturate, impede, occlude, jam, block, close up
- usage: render unsuitable for passage; "block the way"; "barricade the streets"; "stop the busy road"
- 2. obstruct, blockade, block, hinder, stymie, stymy, embarrass, prevent, forestall, foreclose, preclude, forbid
- usage: hinder or prevent the progress or accomplishment of; "His brother blocked him at every turn"
- 3. stop, halt, block, kibosh, prevent, forestall, foreclose, preclude, forbid
- usage: stop from happening or developing; "Block his election"; "Halt the process"
- 4. jam, block, interrupt, disrupt, break up, cut off
- usage: interfere with or prevent the reception of signals; "Jam the Voice of America"; "block the signals emitted by this station"
- 5. block, operate, run
- usage: run on a block system; "block trains"
- 6. block, anesthetize, anaesthetize, anesthetise, anaesthetise, put under, put out
- usage: interrupt the normal function of by means of anesthesia; "block a nerve"; "block a muscle"
- 7. obstruct, block, hide, conceal
- usage: shut out from view or get in the way so as to hide from sight; "The thick curtain blocked the action on the stage"; "The trees obstruct my view of the mountains"
- 8. block, emboss, boss, stamp
- usage: stamp or emboss a title or design on a book with a block; "block the book cover"
- 9. stuff, lug, choke up, block, clog, choke off, clog up, back up, congest, choke, foul
- usage: obstruct; "My nose is all stuffed"; "Her arteries are blocked"
- 10. obstruct, obturate, impede, occlude, jam, block, close up, impede, hinder
- usage: block passage through; "obstruct the path"
- 11. block, hold, support, sustain, hold up
- usage: support, secure, or raise with a block; "block a plate for printing"; "block the wheels of a car"
- 12. parry, block, deflect, fence
- usage: impede the movement of (an opponent or a ball); "block an attack"
- 13. forget, block, blank out, draw a blank
- usage: be unable to remember; "I'm drawing a blank"; "You are blocking the name of your first wife!"
- 14. block, shape, form
- usage: shape by using a block; "Block a hat"; "block a garment"
- 15. block, shape, form
- usage: shape into a block or blocks; "block the graphs so one can see the results clearly"
- 16. freeze, block, immobilize, immobilise, withhold, keep back
- usage: prohibit the conversion or use of (assets); "Blocked funds"; "Freeze the assets of this hostile government"