Synonyms for blow-up
- 1. explosion, detonation, blowup, discharge
- usage: a violent release of energy caused by a chemical or nuclear reaction
- 2. effusion, gush, outburst, blowup, ebullition, expression, manifestation, reflection, reflexion
- usage: an unrestrained expression of emotion
- 3. enlargement, blowup, magnification, photograph, photo, exposure, picture, pic
- usage: a photographic print that has been enlarged
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. explode, detonate, blow up, set off, change integrity
- usage: cause to burst with a violent release of energy; "We exploded the nuclear bomb"
- 2. blow up, enlarge, magnify, increase
- usage: make large; "blow up an image"
- 3. flip one's lid, blow up, throw a fit, hit the roof, hit the ceiling, have kittens, have a fit, combust, blow one's stack, fly off the handle, flip one's wig, lose one's temper, blow a fuse, go ballistic, rage
- usage: get very angry and fly into a rage; "The professor combusted when the student didn't know the answer to a very elementary question"; "Spam makes me go ballistic"
- 4. embroider, pad, lard, embellish, aggrandize, aggrandise, blow up, dramatize, dramatise, overstate, exaggerate, overdraw, hyperbolize, hyperbolise, magnify, amplify
- usage: add details to
- 5. detonate, explode, blow up
- usage: burst and release energy as through a violent chemical or physical reaction;"the bomb detonated at noon"; "The Molotov cocktail exploded"
- 6. inflate, blow up, expand, amplify, increase
- usage: exaggerate or make bigger; "The charges were inflated"
- 7. inflate, blow up, expand
- usage: fill with gas or air; "inflate a balloons"
- 8. puff, puff up, blow up, puff out, swell, swell up, intumesce, tumefy, tumesce
- usage: to swell or cause to enlarge, "Her faced puffed up from the drugs"; "puffed out chests"