Synonyms for brave
- 1. brave, warrior
- usage: a North American Indian warrior
- 2. brave, people
- usage: people who are brave; "the home of the free and the brave"
- 1. weather, endure, brave, brave out, defy, withstand, hold, hold up
- usage: face and withstand with courage; "She braved the elements"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. brave (vs. cowardly), courageous, desperate, heroic, gallant, game, gamy, gamey, gritty, mettlesome, spirited, spunky, lionhearted, stalwart, stouthearted, undaunted, valiant, valorous, adventurous#1, adventuresome, bold, resolute, unafraid#1, fearless
- usage: possessing or displaying courage; able to face and deal with danger or fear without flinching; "Familiarity with danger makes a brave man braver but less daring"- Herman Melville; "a frank courageous heart...triumphed over pain"- William Wordsworth; "set a courageous example by leading them safely into and out of enemy-held territory"
- 2. audacious, brave, dauntless, fearless, hardy, intrepid, unfearing, bold (vs. timid)
- usage: invulnerable to fear or intimidation; "audacious explorers"; "fearless reporters and photographers"; "intrepid pioneers"
- 3. brave, braw, gay, colorful (vs. colorless), colourful (vs. colourless)
- usage: brightly colored and showy; "girls decked out in brave new dresses"; "brave banners flying"; "`braw' is a Scottish word"; "a dress a bit too gay for her years"; "birds with gay plumage"
See also: brave (Dictionary)