Synonyms for breathe
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. breathe, take a breath, respire, suspire
- usage: draw air into, and expel out of, the lungs; "I can breathe better when the air is clean"; "The patient is respiring"
- 2. breathe, exist, survive, live, subsist
- usage: be alive; "Every creature that breathes"
- 3. breathe, instill, transfuse
- usage: impart as if by breathing; "He breathed new life into the old house"
- 4. breathe, be
- usage: allow the passage of air through; "Our new synthetic fabric breathes and is perfect for summer wear"
- 5. breathe, express, verbalize, verbalise, utter, give tongue to
- usage: utter or tell; "not breathe a word"
- 6. breathe, convey
- usage: manifest or evince; "She breathes the Christian spirit"
- 7. rest, breathe, catch one's breath, take a breather, pause, intermit, break
- usage: take a short break from one's activities in order to relax
- 8. breathe, oxidize, oxidise, oxidate
- usage: reach full flavor by absorbing air and being let to stand after having been uncorked; "This rare Bordeaux must be allowed to breathe for at least 2 hours"
- 9. emit, breathe, pass off, exhaust, discharge, expel, eject, release
- usage: expel (gases or odors)