Synonyms for built-up
- 1. build up, increase
- usage: enlarge, develop, or increase by degrees or in stages; "build up your savings"
- 2. build up, work up, build, progress, develop
- usage: form or accumulate steadily; "Resistance to the manager's plan built up quickly"; "Pressure is building up at the Indian-Pakistani border"
- 3. arm, build up, fortify, gird
- usage: prepare oneself for a military confrontation; "The U.S. is girding for a conflict in the Middle East"; "troops are building up on the Iraqi border"
- 4. build up, work up, build, ramp up, increase
- usage: bolster or strengthen; "We worked up courage"; "build up confidence"; "ramp up security in the airports"
- 5. build up, develop, better, improve, amend, ameliorate, meliorate
- usage: change the use of and make available or usable; "develop land"; "The country developed its natural resources"; "The remote areas of the country were gradually built up"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. built-up, settled (vs. unsettled)
- usage: peopled with settlers; "the built-up areas"