Synonyms for buttoned-up
- 1. close up, clam up, dummy up, shut up, belt up, button up, be quiet, keep mum
- usage: refuse to talk or stop talking; fall silent; "The children shut up when their father approached"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. buttoned-up, taciturn (vs. voluble)
- usage: (British colloquial) not inclined to conversation
- 2. buttoned-up, conservative (vs. liberal)
- usage: conservative in professional manner; "employers are looking for buttoned-up types"