Synonyms for cause
- 1. cause, origin, origination, inception
- usage: events that provide the generative force that is the origin of something; "they are trying to determine the cause of the crash"
- 2. cause, reason, grounds, justification
- usage: a justification for something existing or happening; "he had no cause to complain"; "they had good reason to rejoice"
- 3. campaign, cause, crusade, drive, movement, effort, venture
- usage: a series of actions advancing a principle or tending toward a particular end; "he supported populist campaigns"; "they worked in the cause of world peace"; "the team was ready for a drive toward the pennant"; "the movement to end slavery"; "contributed to the war effort"
- 4. causal agent, cause, causal agency, physical entity
- usage: any entity that produces an effect or is responsible for events or results
- 5. lawsuit, suit, case, cause, causa, proceeding, legal proceeding, proceedings
- usage: a comprehensive term for any proceeding in a court of law whereby an individual seeks a legal remedy; "the family brought suit against the landlord"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. cause, do, make, make, create
- usage: give rise to; cause to happen or occur, not always intentionally; "cause a commotion"; "make a stir"; "cause an accident"
- 2. induce, stimulate, cause, have, get, make
- usage: cause to do; cause to act in a specified manner; "The ads induced me to buy a VCR"; "My children finally got me to buy a computer"; "My wife made me buy a new sofa"
See also: cause (Dictionary)