Synonyms for chasten
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. chastise, castigate, objurgate, chasten, correct, call on the carpet, take to task, rebuke, rag, trounce, reproof, lecture, reprimand, jaw, dress down, call down, scold, chide, berate, bawl out, remonstrate, chew out, chew up, have words, lambaste, lambast
- usage: censure severely; "She chastised him for his insensitive remarks"
- 2. chasten, moderate, temper, change, alter, modify
- usage: restrain
- 3. tame, chasten, subdue, change, alter, modify
- usage: correct by punishment or discipline