Synonyms for circus
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. circus, company, troupe
- usage: a travelling company of entertainers; including trained animals; "he ran away from home to join the circus"
- 2. circus, show
- usage: a performance given by a traveling company of acrobats, clowns, and trained animals; "the children always love to go to the circus"
- 3. circus, carnival, disturbance
- usage: a frenetic disorganized (and often comic) disturbance suggestive of a large public entertainment; "it was so funny it was a circus"; "the whole occasion had a carnival atmosphere"
- 4. circus, stadium, bowl, arena, sports stadium
- usage: (antiquity) an open-air stadium for chariot races and gladiatorial games
- 5. circus, arena, scene of action
- usage: an arena consisting of an oval or circular area enclosed by tiers of seats and usually covered by a tent; "they used the elephants to help put up the circus"
- 6. Circus, genus Circus, bird genus
- usage: a genus of haws comprising the harriers