Synonyms for collar
- 1. collar, neckband, band
- usage: a band that fits around the neck and is usually folded over
- 2. collar, band, banding, stria, striation
- usage: (zoology) an encircling band or marking around the neck of any animal
- 3. collar, neckpiece
- usage: anything worn or placed about the neck; "the thief was forced to wear a heavy wooden collar"; "a collar of flowers was placed about the neck of the winning horse"
- 4. collar, hoop, ring
- usage: a short ring fastened over a rod or shaft to limit, guide, or secure a machine part
- 5. collar, shoe collar, brim, rim, lip
- usage: the stitching that forms the rim of a shoe or boot
- 6. collar, band
- usage: a band of leather or rope that is placed around an animal's neck as a harness or to identify it
- 7. choker, collar, dog collar, neckband, necklace
- usage: necklace that fits tightly around a woman's neck
- 8. collar, leash, restraint
- usage: a figurative restraint; "asked for a collar on program trading in the stock market"; "kept a tight leash on his emotions"; "he's always gotten a long leash"
- 9. apprehension, arrest, catch, collar, pinch, taking into custody, capture, gaining control, seizure
- usage: the act of apprehending (especially apprehending a criminal); "the policeman on the beat got credit for the collar"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. collar, nail, apprehend, arrest, pick up, nab, cop, seize, prehend, clutch
- usage: take into custody; "the police nabbed the suspected criminals"
- 2. collar, seize, prehend, clutch
- usage: seize by the neck or collar
- 3. collar, equip, fit, fit out, outfit
- usage: furnish with a collar; "collar the dog"