Synonyms for commission
- 1. committee, commission, administrative unit, administrative body
- usage: a special group delegated to consider some matter; "a committee is a group that keeps minutes and loses hours" - Milton Berle
- 2. commission, fee
- usage: a fee for services rendered based on a percentage of an amount received or collected or agreed to be paid (as distinguished from a salary); "he works on commission"
- 3. commission, commissioning, authorization, authorisation, empowerment
- usage: the act of granting authority to undertake certain functions
- 4. commission, operation
- usage: the state of being in good working order and ready for operation; "put the ships into commission"; "the motor was out of commission"
- 5. deputation, commission, delegation, delegacy, mission, organization, organisation
- usage: a group of representatives or delegates
- 6. commission, charge, direction, command, bid, bidding, dictation
- usage: a formal statement of a command or injunction to do something; "the judge's charge to the jury"
- 7. commission, military commission, certificate, certification, credential, credentials
- usage: an official document issued by a government and conferring on the recipient the rank of an officer in the armed forces
- 8. perpetration, commission, committal, crime, offense, criminal offense, criminal offence, offence, law-breaking
- usage: the act of committing a crime
- 9. mission, charge, commission, assignment, duty assignment
- usage: a special assignment that is given to a person or group; "a confidential mission to London"; "his charge was deliver a message"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. commission, equip, fit, fit out, outfit
- usage: put into commission; equip for service; of ships
- 2. commission, order
- usage: place an order for
- 3. commission, authorize, authorise, pass, clear
- usage: charge with a task