Synonyms for compound
- 1. compound, whole
- usage: a whole formed by a union of two or more elements or parts
- 2. compound, chemical compound, chemical, chemical substance
- usage: (chemistry) a substance formed by chemical union of two or more elements or ingredients in definite proportion by weight
- 3. compound, enclosure
- usage: an enclosure of residences and other building (especially in the Orient)
- 1. intensify, compound, heighten, deepen, increase
- usage: make more intense, stronger, or more marked; "The efforts were intensified", "Her rudeness intensified his dislike for her"; "Pot smokers claim it heightens their awareness"; "This event only deepened my convictions"
- 2. compound, combine, add
- usage: put or add together; "combine resources"
- 3. compound, account, calculate
- usage: calculate principal and interest
- 4. compound, assemble, piece, put together, set up, tack, tack together
- usage: create by mixing or combining
- 5. compound, combine, mix, mingle, commix, unify, amalgamate
- usage: combine so as to form a whole; mix; "compound the ingredients"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. compound (vs. simple), bilobate, bilobated, bilobed, binate, bipartite, bipinnate, bipinnatifid, cleft, dissected, conjugate, decompound, even-pinnate, abruptly-pinnate, paripinnate, incised, lobed, lobate, odd-pinnate, imparipinnate, palmate, palm-shaped, palmatifid, parted, pedate, pinnate, pinnated, pinnatifid, pinnatisect, quinquefoliate, radiate, ternate, trifoliate, trifoliolate, trifoliated, trilobate, trilobated, trilobed, three-lobed, tripinnate, tripinnated, tripinnatifid, complex, rough, smooth
- usage: composed of more than one part; "compound leaves are composed of several lobes; "compound flower heads"
- 2. compound, complex (vs. simple)
- usage: consisting of two or more substances or ingredients or elements or parts; "soap is a compound substance"; "housetop is a compound word"; "a blackberry is a compound fruit"
- 3. colonial, compound, complex (vs. simple)
- usage: composed of many distinct individuals united to form a whole or colony; "coral is a colonial organism"