Synonyms for contending
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. contend, postulate, claim
- usage: maintain or assert; "He contended that Communism had no future"
- 2. argue, contend, debate, fence, converse, discourse
- usage: have an argument about something
- 3. contest, contend, repugn, oppose
- usage: to make the subject of dispute, contention, or litigation; "They contested the outcome of the race"
- 4. cope, get by, make out, make do, contend, grapple, deal, manage, act, move
- usage: come to terms with; "We got by on just a gallon of gas"; "They made do on half a loaf of bread every day"
- 5. compete, vie, contend
- usage: compete for something; engage in a contest; measure oneself against others
- 6. contend, fight, struggle
- usage: be engaged in a fight; carry on a fight; "the tribesmen fought each other"; "Siblings are always fighting"; "Militant groups are contending for control of the country"