Synonyms for contrary
- 1. reverse, contrary, opposite, opposition, oppositeness
- usage: a relation of direct opposition; "we thought Sue was older than Bill but just the reverse was true"
- 2. contrary, opposition, oppositeness
- usage: exact opposition; "public opinion to the contrary he is not guilty"
- 3. contrary, logical relation
- usage: a logical relation such that two propositions are contraries if both cannot be true but both can be false
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. contrary, different (vs. same)
- usage: very opposed in nature or character or purpose; "acts contrary to our code of ethics"; "the facts point to a contrary conclusion"
- 2. contrary, antonymous (vs. synonymous)
- usage: of words or propositions so related that both cannot be true but both may be false; "`hot' and `cold' are contrary terms"
- 3. contrary, obstinate, perverse, wayward, disobedient (vs. obedient)
- usage: resistant to guidance or discipline; "Mary Mary quite contrary"; "an obstinate child with a violent temper"; "a perverse mood"; "wayward behavior"
- 4. adverse, contrary, unfavorable (vs. favorable), unfavourable
- usage: in an opposing direction; "adverse currents"; "a contrary wind"