Synonyms for conventional
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. conventional (vs. unconventional) (vs. unconventional), received, customary, formulaic, stodgy, stuffy, formal, unoriginal
- usage: following accepted customs and proprieties; "conventional wisdom"; "she had strayed from the path of conventional behavior"; "conventional forms of address"
- 2. conventional, established, orthodox (vs. unorthodox)
- usage: conforming with accepted standards; "a conventional view of the world"
- 3. conventional (vs. nuclear)
- usage: (weapons) using energy for propulsion or destruction that is not nuclear energy; "conventional warfare"; "conventional weapons"
- 4. conventional (vs. unconventional), button-down, buttoned-down, conservative, square, straight, stereotyped, stereotypic, stereotypical, unimaginative, white-bread
- usage: unimaginative and conformist; "conventional bourgeois lives"; "conventional attitudes"
- 5. conventional, formal, schematic, nonrepresentational (vs. representational)
- usage: represented in simplified or symbolic form
- 6. conventional, traditional (vs. nontraditional)
- usage: in accord with or being a tradition or practice accepted from the past; "a conventional church wedding with the bride in traditional white"; "the conventional handshake"
- 7. ceremonious, conventional, formal (vs. informal)
- usage: rigidly formal or bound by convention; "their ceremonious greetings did not seem heartfelt"