Synonyms for country
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. state, nation, country, land, commonwealth, res publica, body politic, political unit, political entity
- usage: a politically organized body of people under a single government; "the state has elected a new president"; "African nations"; "students who had come to the nation's capitol"; "the country's largest manufacturer"; "an industrialized land"
- 2. country, state, land, administrative district, administrative division, territorial division
- usage: the territory occupied by a nation; "he returned to the land of his birth"; "he visited several European countries"
- 3. nation, land, country, people
- usage: the people who live in a nation or country; "a statement that sums up the nation's mood"; "the news was announced to the nation"; "the whole country worshipped him"
- 4. country, rural area, geographical area, geographic area, geographical region, geographic region
- usage: an area outside of cities and towns; "his poetry celebrated the slower pace of life in the country"
- 5. area, country, region
- usage: a particular geographical region of indefinite boundary (usually serving some special purpose or distinguished by its people or culture or geography); "it was a mountainous area"; "Bible country"