Synonyms for dog
- 1. dog, domestic dog, Canis familiaris, canine, canid
- usage: a member of the genus Canis (probably descended from the common wolf) that has been domesticated by man since prehistoric times; occurs in many breeds; "the dog barked all night"
- 2. frump, dog, unpleasant woman, disagreeable woman
- usage: a dull unattractive unpleasant girl or woman; "she got a reputation as a frump"; "she's a real dog"
- 3. dog, chap, fellow, feller, lad, gent, fella, blighter, cuss
- usage: informal term for a man; "you lucky dog"
- 4. cad, bounder, blackguard, dog, hound, heel, villain, scoundrel
- usage: someone who is morally reprehensible; "you dirty dog"
- 5. frank, frankfurter, hotdog, hot dog, dog, wiener, wienerwurst, weenie, sausage
- usage: a smooth-textured sausage of minced beef or pork usually smoked; often served on a bread roll
- 6. pawl, detent, click, dog, catch, stop
- usage: a hinged catch that fits into a notch of a ratchet to move a wheel forward or prevent it from moving backward
- 7. andiron, firedog, dog, dog-iron, support
- usage: metal supports for logs in a fireplace; "the andirons were too hot to touch"
WordNet 2.0 Copyright © 2003 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- 1. chase, chase after, trail, tail, tag, give chase, dog, go after, track, pursue, follow
- usage: go after with the intent to catch; "The policeman chased the mugger down the alley"; "the dog chased the rabbit"
See also: dog (Dictionary)