Synonyms for double
- 1. double, two-base hit, two-bagger, two-baser, base hit, safety
- usage: a base hit on which the batter stops safely at second base; "he hit a double to deep centerfield"
- 2. double, stunt man, stunt woman, stand-in, substitute, relief, reliever, backup, backup man, fill-in
- usage: a stand-in for movie stars to perform dangerous stunts; "his first job in Hollywood was as a double for Clark Gable"
- 3. double, image, look-alike, person, individual, someone, somebody, mortal, soul
- usage: someone who closely resembles a famous person (especially an actor); "he could be Gingrich's double"; "she's the very image of her mother"
- 4. double, multiple
- usage: a quantity that is twice as great as another; "36 is the double of 18"
- 5. doubling, double, raise
- usage: raising the stakes in a card game by a factor of 2; "I decided his double was a bluff"
- 1. double, duplicate, multiply, manifold
- usage: increase twofold; "The population doubled within 50 years"
- 2. double, hit
- usage: hit a two-base hit
- 3. double over, double, double up, bend, flex
- usage: bend over or curl up, usually with laughter or pain; "He doubled and vomited violently"
- 4. double, function, work, operate, go, run
- usage: do double duty; serve two purposes or have two functions; "She doubles as his wife and secretary"
- 5. double, bid, call
- usage: bridge: make a demand for (a card or suit)
- 6. duplicate, reduplicate, double, repeat, replicate, reproduce
- usage: make or do or perform again; "He could never replicate his brilliant performance of the magic trick"
- 1. double, dual, twofold, two-fold, treble, threefold, three-fold, multiple (vs. single)
- usage: having more than one decidedly dissimilar aspects or qualities; "a double (or dual) role for an actor"; "the office of a clergyman is twofold; public preaching and private influence"- R.W.Emerson; "every episode has its double and treble meaning"-Frederick Harrison
- 2. double, dual, duple, multiple (vs. single)
- usage: consisting of or involving two parts or components usually in pairs; "an egg with a double yolk"; "a double (binary) star"; "double doors"; "dual controls for pilot and copilot"; "duple (or double) time consists of two (or a multiple of two) beats to a measure"
- 3. double, doubled, twofold, two-fold, multiple (vs. single)
- usage: twice as great or many; "ate a double portion"; "the dose is doubled"; "a twofold increase"
- 4. double (vs. single)
- usage: used of flowers having more than the usual number of petals in crowded or overlapping arrangements; "double chrysanthemums have many rows of petals and are usually spherical or hemispherical"
- 5. bivalent (vs. multivalent) (vs. univalent), double
- usage: used of homologous chromosomes associated in pairs in synapsis
- 6. double, large (vs. small), big (vs. little)
- usage: large enough for two; "a double bed"; "a double room"
- 7. double, forked, equivocal (vs. unequivocal), ambiguous
- usage: having two meanings with intent to deceive; "a sly double meaning"; "spoke with forked tongue"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. double
- usage: downward and forward; "he was bent double with pain"
- 2. double
- usage: two together; "some people sleep better double"
- 3. doubly, double, twice
- usage: to double the degree; "she was doubly rewarded"; "his eyes were double bright"