Synonyms for drain
- 1. drain, drainage, emptying, voidance, evacuation
- usage: emptying something accomplished by allowing liquid to run out of it
- 2. drain, tube, tubing
- usage: tube inserted into a body cavity (as during surgery) to remove unwanted material
- 3. drain, drainpipe, waste pipe, pipe, pipage, piping
- usage: a pipe through which liquid is carried away
- 4. drain, depletion
- usage: a gradual depletion of energy or resources; "a drain on resources"; "a drain of young talent by emigration"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. drain, run out, run, flow, feed, course
- usage: flow off gradually; "The rain water drains into this big vat"
- 2. drain, consume, eat up, use up, eat, deplete, exhaust, run through, wipe out
- usage: deplete of resources; "The exercise class drains me of energy"
- 3. drain, empty
- usage: empty of liquid; drain the liquid from; "We drained the oil tank"
- 4. enfeeble, debilitate, drain, weaken
- usage: make weak; "Life in the camp drained him"
See also: drain (Dictionary)