Synonyms for earth
- 1. Earth, world, globe, terrestrial planet
- usage: the 3rd planet from the sun; the planet on which we live; "the Earth moves around the sun"; "he sailed around the world"
- 2. earth, ground, material, stuff
- usage: the loose soft material that makes up a large part of the land surface; "they dug into the earth outside the church"
- 3. land, dry land, earth, ground, solid ground, terra firma, object, physical object
- usage: the solid part of the earth's surface; "the plane turned away from the sea and moved back over land"; "the earth shook for several minutes"; "he dropped the logs on the ground"
- 4. Earth, location
- usage: the abode of mortals (as contrasted with heaven or hell); "it was hell on earth"
- 5. earth, element
- usage: once thought to be one of four elements composing the universe (Empedocles)
- 6. worldly concern, earthly concern, world, earth, concern
- usage: the concerns of the world as distinguished from heaven and the afterlife; "they consider the church to be independent of the world"
- 7. ground, earth, connection, connexion, connector, connecter, connective
- usage: a connection between an electrical device and the earth (which is a zero voltage)
WordNet 2.0 Copyright © 2003 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- 1. earth, hide, hide out
- usage: hide in the earth like a hunted animal
- 2. earth, ground
- usage: connect to the earth; "earth the circuit"
See also: earth (Dictionary)