Synonyms for effect
- 1. consequence, effect, outcome, result, event, issue, upshot, phenomenon
- usage: a phenomenon that follows and is caused by some previous phenomenon; "the magnetic effect was greater when the rod was lengthwise"; "his decision had depressing consequences for business"; "he acted very wise after the event"
- 2. impression, effect, appearance, visual aspect
- usage: an outward appearance; "he made a good impression"; "I wanted to create an impression of success"; "she retained that bold effect in her reproductions of the original painting"
- 3. effect, impression, feeling, belief, notion, opinion
- usage: an impression (especially one that is artificial or contrived); "he just did it for effect"
- 4. effect, essence, burden, core, gist, meaning, significance, signification, import
- usage: the central meaning or theme of a speech or literary work
- 5. effect, force, validity, validness
- usage: (of a law) having legal validity; "the law is still in effect"
- 6. effect, symptom
- usage: a symptom caused by an illness or a drug; "the effects of sleep loss"; "the effect of the anesthetic"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. effect, effectuate, set up, cause, do, make
- usage: produce; "The scientists set up a shock wave"
- 2. effect, act, move
- usage: act so as to bring into existence; "effect a change"