Synonyms for empty
- 1. empty, container
- usage: a container that has been emptied; "return all empties to the store"
- 1. empty, change, alter, modify
- usage: make void or empty of contents; "Empty the box"; "The alarm emptied the building"
- 2. empty, discharge, change state, turn
- usage: become empty or void of its content; "The room emptied"
- 3. vacate, empty, abandon, leave, go forth, go away
- usage: leave behind empty; move out of; "You must vacate your office by tonight"
- 4. empty, remove, take, take away, withdraw
- usage: remove; "Empty the water"
- 5. evacuate, void, empty, excrete, egest, eliminate, pass
- usage: excrete or discharge from the body
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. empty (vs. full), bare, stripped, blank, clean, white, empty-handed, glassy, glazed, lifeless, looted, pillaged, plundered, ransacked, vacant, vacant, vacuous, void
- usage: holding or containing nothing; "an empty glass"; "an empty room"; "full of empty seats"; "empty hours"
- 2. empty, hollow, vacuous, meaningless (vs. meaningful), nonmeaningful
- usage: devoid of significance or point; "empty promises"; "a hollow victory"; "vacuous comments"
- 3. empty, empty-bellied, hungry (vs. thirsty)
- usage: needing nourishment; "after skipped lunch the men were empty by suppertime"; "empty-bellied children"
- 4. empty, drained (vs. undrained)
- usage: emptied of emotion; "after the violent argument he felt empty"
See also: empty (Dictionary)