Synonyms for energy
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. energy, free energy, physical phenomenon
- usage: (physics) a thermodynamic quantity equivalent to the capacity of a physical system to do work; the units of energy are joules or ergs; "energy can take a wide variety of forms"
- 2. energy, vigor, vigour, zip, force, forcefulness, strength
- usage: forceful exertion; "he plays tennis with great energy"; "he's full of zip"
- 3. energy, push, get-up-and-go, drive
- usage: enterprising or ambitious drive; "Europeans often laugh at American energy"
- 4. energy, muscularity, vigor, vigour, vim, liveliness, life, spirit, sprightliness
- usage: an imaginative lively style (especially style of writing); "his writing conveys great energy"; "a remarkable muscularity of style"
- 5. energy, vim, vitality, good health, healthiness
- usage: a healthy capacity for vigorous activity; "jogging works off my excess energy"; "he seemed full of vim and vigor"
- 6. energy, physical phenomenon
- usage: any source of usable power; "the DOE is responsible for maintaining the energy policy"
- 7. Department of Energy, Energy Department, Energy, DOE, executive department
- usage: the federal department responsible for maintaining a national energy policy of the United States; created in 1977