Synonyms for enlightenment
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. enlightenment, education
- usage: education that results in understanding and the spread of knowledge
- 2. nirvana, enlightenment, blessedness, beatitude, beatification
- usage: (Hinduism and Buddhism) the beatitude that transcends the cycle of reincarnation; characterized by the extinction of desire and suffering and individual consciousness
- 3. Enlightenment, Age of Reason, reform movement
- usage: a movement in Europe from about 1650 until 1800 that advocated the use of reason and individualism instead of tradition and established doctrine; "the Enlightenment brought about many humanitarian reforms"