Synonyms for etymologizing
- 1. deriving, derivation, etymologizing, explanation, account
- usage: (historical linguistics) an explanation of the historical origins of a word or phrase
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. etymologize, etymologise, derive, educe
- usage: give the etymology or derivation or suggest an etymology (for a word); "The linguist probably etymologized the words incorrectly"; "Although he is not trained in this, his hobby is etymologizing"
- 2. etymologize, etymologise, reconstruct, construct, retrace
- usage: construct the history of words