Synonyms for extension
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. extension, delay, hold, time lag, postponement, wait
- usage: a mutually agreed delay in the date set for the completion of a job or payment of a debt; "they applied for an extension of the loan"
- 2. extension, expansion, enlargement
- usage: act of expanding in scope; making more widely available; "extension of the program to all in need"
- 3. propagation, extension, dissemination, airing, public exposure, spreading
- usage: the spreading of something (a belief or practice) into new regions
- 4. extension, extension service, university extension, education, instruction, teaching, pedagogy, didactics, educational activity
- usage: an educational opportunity provided by colleges and universities to people who are not enrolled as regular students
- 5. extension, stretching
- usage: act of stretching or straightening out a flexed limb
- 6. extension, filename extension, file name extension, string
- usage: a string of characters beginning with a period and followed by one or more letters; the optional second part of a PC computer filename; "most applications provide extensions for the files they create"; "most BASIC files use the filename extension .BAS"
- 7. reference, denotation, extension, meaning, substance
- usage: the most direct or specific meaning of a word or expression; the class of objects that an expression refers to; "the extension of `satellite of Mars' is the set containing only Demos and Phobos"
- 8. extension, property, dance
- usage: the ability to raise the working leg high in the air; "the dancer was praised for her uncanny extension"; "good extension comes from a combination of training and native ability"
- 9. extension, lengthiness, prolongation, longness
- usage: amount or degree or range to which something extends; "the wire has an extension of 50 feet"
- 10. extension, telephone extension, extension phone, telephone, phone, telephone set
- usage: an additional telephone set that is connected to the same telephone line
- 11. elongation, extension, addition, add-on, improver
- usage: an addition to the length of something
- 12. annex, annexe, extension, wing, addition, add-on, improver
- usage: an addition that extends a main building