Synonyms for foundation
WordNet 2.0 Copyright © 2003 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- 1. foundation, relation
- usage: the basis on which something is grounded; "there is little foundation for his objections"
- 2. foundation, financial institution, financial organization, financial organisation
- usage: an institution supported by an endowment
- 3. basis, base, foundation, fundament, groundwork, cornerstone, assumption, supposition, supposal
- usage: the fundamental assumptions from which something is begun or developed or calculated or explained; "the whole argument rested on a basis of conjecture"
- 4. foundation, base, fundament, foot, groundwork, substructure, understructure, support
- usage: lowest support of a structure; "it was built on a base of solid rock"; "he stood at the foot of the tower"
- 5. foundation, grounding, education
- usage: education or instruction in the fundamentals of a field of knowledge; "he lacks the foundation necessary for advanced study"; "a good grounding in mathematics"
- 6. foundation garment, foundation, undergarment
- usage: a woman's undergarment worn to give shape to the contours of the body
- 7. initiation, founding, foundation, institution, origination, creation, innovation, introduction, instauration, beginning, start, commencement
- usage: the act of starting something for the first time; introducing something new; "she looked forward to her initiation as an adult"; "the foundation of a new scientific society"; "he regards the fork as a modern introduction"