Synonyms for gag
- 1. joke, gag, laugh, jest, jape, wit, humor, humour, witticism, wittiness
- usage: a humorous anecdote or remark intended to provoke laughter; "he told a very funny joke"; "he knows a million gags"; "thanks for the laugh"; "he laughed unpleasantly at his own jest"; "even a schoolboy's jape is supposed to have some ascertainable point"
- 2. gag, muzzle, restraint, constraint
- usage: restraint put into a person's mouth to prevent speaking or shouting
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. gag, muzzle, hush, quieten, silence, still, shut up, hush up
- usage: prevent from speaking out; "The press was gagged"
- 2. choke, gag, fret, compress, constrict, squeeze, compact, contract, press
- usage: be too tight; rub or press; "This neckband is choking the cat"
- 3. gag, muzzle, tie, bind
- usage: tie a gag around someone's mouth in order to silence them; "The burglars gagged the home owner and tied him to a chair"
- 4. gag, quip, joke, jest
- usage: make jokes or quips; "The students were gagging during dinner"
- 5. gag, choke, strangle, suffocate, suffer, hurt
- usage: struggle for breath; have insufficient oxygen intake; "he swallowed a fishbone and gagged"
- 6. gag, choke, sicken
- usage: cause to retch or choke
- 7. gag, heave, retch
- usage: make an unsuccessful effort to vomit; strain to vomit
See also: gag (Dictionary)