Synonyms for gas
- 1. gas, gaseous state, state of matter, state
- usage: the state of matter distinguished from the solid and liquid states by: relatively low density and viscosity; relatively great expansion and contraction with changes in pressure and temperature; the ability to diffuse readily; and the spontaneous tendency to become distributed uniformly throughout any container
- 2. gas, fluid
- usage: a fluid in the gaseous state having neither independent shape nor volume and being able to expand indefinitely
- 3. gasoline, gasolene, gas, petrol, fuel, hydrocarbon
- usage: a volatile flammable mixture of hydrocarbons (hexane and heptane and octane etc.) derived from petroleum; used mainly as a fuel in internal-combustion engines
- 4. flatulence, flatulency, gas, physical condition, physiological state, physiological condition
- usage: a state of excessive gas in the alimentary canal
- 5. accelerator, accelerator pedal, gas pedal, gas, throttle, gun, pedal, treadle, foot pedal, foot lever
- usage: a pedal that controls the throttle valve; "he stepped on the gas"
- 6. natural gas, gas, fossil fuel
- usage: a fossil fuel in the gaseous state; used for cooking and heating homes
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. gas, attack, assail
- usage: attack with gas; subject to gas fumes; "The despot gassed the rebellious tribes"
- 2. boast, tout, swash, shoot a line, brag, gas, blow, bluster, vaunt, gasconade, overstate, exaggerate, overdraw, hyperbolize, hyperbolise, magnify, amplify
- usage: show off
See also: gas (Dictionary)