Synonyms for gay
- 1. homosexual, homophile, homo, gay, person, individual, someone, somebody, mortal, soul
- usage: someone who practices homosexuality; having a sexual attraction to persons of the same sex
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. cheery, gay, sunny, cheerful (vs. depressing)
- usage: bright and pleasant; promoting a feeling of cheer; "a cheery hello"; "a gay sunny room"; "a sunny smile"
- 2. gay, jocund, jolly, jovial, merry, mirthful, joyous (vs. joyless)
- usage: full of or showing high-spirited merriment; "when hearts were young and gay"; "a poet could not but be gay, in such a jocund company"- Wordsworth; "the jolly crowd at the reunion"; "jolly old Saint Nick"; "a jovial old gentleman"; "have a merry Christmas"; "peals of merry laughter"; "a mirthful laugh"
- 3. gay, indulgent (vs. nonindulgent)
- usage: given to social pleasures often including dissipation; "led a gay Bohemian life"; "a gay old rogue with an eye for the ladies"
- 4. brave, braw, gay, colorful (vs. colorless), colourful (vs. colourless)
- usage: brightly colored and showy; "girls decked out in brave new dresses"; "brave banners flying"; "`braw' is a Scottish word"; "a dress a bit too gay for her years"; "birds with gay plumage"
- 5. gay, festal, festive, merry, joyous (vs. joyless)
- usage: offering fun and gaiety; "a festive (or festal) occasion"; "gay and exciting night life"; "a merry evening"
- 6. gay, queer, homophile(prenominal), homosexual (vs. bisexual) (vs. heterosexual)
- usage: homosexual or arousing homosexual desires
See also: gay (Dictionary)