Synonyms for general
- 1. general, full general, general officer
- usage: a general officer of the highest rank
- 2. general, superior general, head, chief, top dog
- usage: the head of a religious order or congregation
- 3. general, fact
- usage: a fact about the whole (as opposed to particular); "he discussed the general but neglected the particular"
- 1. general, command
- usage: command as a general; "We are generaled by an incompetent!"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. general (vs. specific), broad, unspecific, general-purpose, all-purpose, generic, gross, overall, pandemic, universal, widespread, comprehensive, imprecise, indiscriminate, unspecialized#1, unspecialised
- usage: applying to all or most members of a category or group; "the general public"; "general assistance"; "a general rule"; "in general terms"; "comprehensible to the general reader"
- 2. general, undiversified (vs. diversified)
- usage: not specialized or limited to one class of things; "general studies"; "general knowledge"
- 3. general, common (vs. uncommon)
- usage: prevailing among and common to the general public; "the general discontent"
- 4. general (vs. local), systemic
- usage: affecting the entire body; "a general anesthetic"; "general symptoms"
- 5. general, imprecise (vs. precise)
- usage: somewhat indefinite; "bearing a general resemblance to the original"; "a general description of the merchandise"
- 6. cosmopolitan, ecumenical, oecumenical, general, universal, worldwide, world-wide, comprehensive (vs. noncomprehensive)
- usage: of worldwide scope or applicability; "an issue of cosmopolitan import"; "the shrewdest political and ecumenical comment of our time"- Christopher Morley; "universal experience"