Synonyms for gloss
- 1. gloss, rubric, explanation, account
- usage: an explanation or definition of an obscure word in a text
- 2. glossary, gloss, wordbook
- usage: an alphabetical list of technical terms in some specialized field of knowledge; usually published as an appendix to a text on that field
- 3. polish, gloss, glossiness, burnish, radiance, radiancy, shine, effulgence, refulgence, refulgency, smoothness
- usage: the property of being smooth and shiny
- 4. semblance, gloss, color, colour, appearance, visual aspect
- usage: an outward or token appearance or form that is deliberately misleading; "he hoped his claims would have a semblance of authenticity"; "he tried to give his falsehood the gloss of moral sanction"; "the situation soon took on a different color"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. gloss, polish, smooth, smoothen, shine
- usage: give a shine or gloss to, usually by rubbing
- 2. gloss, comment, annotate, rede, interpret
- usage: provide interlinear explanations for words or phrases; "He annotated on what his teacher had written"
- 3. gloss, translate, interpret, render
- usage: provide an interlinear translation of a word or phrase
- 4. color, colour, gloss, apologize, apologise, excuse, justify, rationalize, rationalise
- usage: give a deceptive explanation or excuse for; "color a lie"
See also: gloss (Dictionary)