Synonyms for governing
- 1. government, governing, governance, government activity, administration, social control
- usage: the act of governing; exercising authority; "regulations for the governing of state prisons"; "he had considerable experience of government"
- 1. regulate, regularize, regularise, order, govern, decide, make up one's mind, determine
- usage: bring into conformity with rules or principles or usage; impose regulations; "We cannot regulate the way people dress"; "This town likes to regulate"
- 2. govern, control, command
- usage: direct or strongly influence the behavior of; "His belief in God governs his conduct"
- 3. govern, rule, control, command
- usage: exercise authority over; as of nations; "Who is governing the country now?"
- 4. govern, necessitate, ask, postulate, need, require, take, involve, call for, demand
- usage: require to be in a certain grammatical case, voice, or mood; "most transitive verbs govern the accusative case in German"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. governing, dominant (vs. subordinate)
- usage: responsible for making and enforcing rules and laws; "governing bodies"