Synonyms for grain
- 1. grain, atom, molecule, particle, corpuscle, mote, speck
- usage: a relatively small granular particle of a substance; "a grain of sand"; "a grain of sugar"
- 2. grain, food grain, cereal, foodstuff, food product
- usage: foodstuff prepared from the starchy grains of cereal grasses
- 3. grain, leather
- usage: the side of leather from which the hair has been removed
- 4. grain, metric grain, metric weight unit, weight unit
- usage: a weight unit used for pearls or diamonds: 50 mg or 1/4 carat
- 5. grain, troy unit, apothecaries' unit, apothecaries' weight
- usage: 1/60 dram; equals an avoirdupois grain or 64.799 milligrams
- 6. grain, avoirdupois unit
- usage: 1/7000 pound; equals a troy grain or 64.799 milligrams
- 7. grain, caryopsis, seed
- usage: dry seed-like fruit produced by the cereal grasses: e.g. wheat, barley, Indian corn
- 8. grain, cereal, cereal grass
- usage: a cereal grass; "wheat is a grain that is grown in Kansas"
- 9. grain, smallness, littleness
- usage: the smallest possible unit of anything; "there was a grain of truth in what he said"; "he does not have a grain of sense"
- 10. grain, texture
- usage: the direction, texture, or pattern of fibers found in wood or leather or stone or in a woven fabric; "saw the board across the grain"
- 11. texture, grain, constitution, composition, physical composition, makeup, make-up
- usage: the physical composition of something (especially with respect to the size and shape of the small constituents of a substance); "breadfruit has the same texture as bread"; "sand of a fine grain"; "fish with a delicate flavor and texture"; "a stone of coarse grain"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. ingrain, grain, penetrate, perforate
- usage: thoroughly work in; "His hands were grained with dirt"
- 2. grain, paint
- usage: paint (a surface) to make it look like stone or wood
- 3. granulate, grain, form
- usage: form into grains
- 4. granulate, grain, change shape, change form, deform
- usage: become granular
See also: grain (Dictionary)